We’re just a few days from Christmas, so I wanted to celebrate by baking something sweet (and super pretty). Naturally, the first thing that came to my mind was cupcakes. And, after seeing all of the gorgeous natural Christmas cake pins (like this one or this one) on Pinterest, I just knew I had to make a cupcake version.
I decided to keep the recipe for these sweet cupcakes relatively easy, so I made a simple vanilla cupcake topped with vanilla buttercream frosting. I topped them with some simple rosemary decor, because I loved how much each little cupcake looked like Christmas. Doesn’t the rosemary look just like little trees and wreaths? All I did, was cut up some of the rosemary and arrange it in different patterns to decorate each cupcake. I swear sometimes the simplest ideas, turn out the best. And, these little cupcakes prove just that.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- For the Buttercream Frosting: (from Natasha's Kitchen)
- 8 oz. pkg cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and baking soda. Mix well. Then, add in eggs, sugar, salt, vanilla extract and vegetable oil. Mix well and use a spatula to pull batter down from the sides of the bowl.
- Line a cupcake tin with liners and fill just over halfway, as batter will rise during baking. Bake for about 10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out smooth. Let cool.
- Whip the heavy cream until it is thick and fluffy. Add in cream cheese and powdered sugar and again beat until it is thick and fluffy.
- Add in vanilla extract and spread over your cupcakes.
- Top cupcakes with sprinkles and rosemary and enjoy!