In my family angel food cake is the name of the game for any fourth of July festivities. We always have one prepared with fresh berries galore, and i’d be lying if I said it wasn’t one of my favorite parts of the holiday. This angel food cake recipe is the BEST. I promise it will leave your guests wanting more. You may even have to make two, just in case.
I love an angel food cake that tastes light and airy. We’re always on the beach for the fourth, so this dessert is perfect for indulging in something sweet in the heat. I also love the addition of berries beyond strawberries to make the cake feel a tad bit festive. I’m telling you when I think of the perfect summer dessert, this cake is the first think that comes to mind.
Feeling patriotic yet? Well, I promise you will after you take the first bite!
- 1½ cups powdered sugar (sifted)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 10 egg whites
- 1½ teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Whipped cream
- 3 cups mixed berries
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix the sifted flour and powedered sugar in a large bowl, set aside.
- In a stand mixer bowl, mix the egg whites, extracts and vinegar together. Mix for 5 minutes or until foamy. Add the flour mixture solely (about 1/4 cup at a time) while mixing.
- Add the batter to a greased tube pan and bake for 45 minutes (do not let it turn brown)!
- While baking, chop and mix the berries.
- When the cake is done, cut it into two or three equal layers. Add whipped cream and berries to each slice when cooled.