For the most part, J and I try to eat healthy. During the week, we whip up Overnight Oats and Yogurt Parfaits to start our mornings on a high note. But, by the time the weekend rolls around all bets are off and I typically run to the pantry to find anything that contains a large amount of sugar. And, when it’s the Holiday Season – well that’s how this Cranberry Syrup Topped French Toast came to be.
Every Thanksgiving and Christmas we have tons of leftovers that always seem to go to waste no matter how hard we try. It’s easy to think through what to do with most of it. But, some of it always seems to just sit in the fridge. My mom makes the worlds best Cranberries in a syrupy, sugary sauce, and they just so happen to top this classic French Toast Recipe perfectly. When paired together, the cranberry brings out a tangy flavor, while the french toast provides a great base so it’s not too overwhelming.
No longer do you have to cook all day for Thanksgiving or Christmas, and then turn around and make a full Breakfast for your family and friends. Instead, make some extra cranberry sauce, stick it in the fridge and then whip up some quick & easy French Toast. Trust me, your friends and family will thank you!
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- A dash of cinnamon
- 4-6 Slices of thick bread
- 2 cups cranberries
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Water
- Add cranberries, sugar and water to a medium sauce pan and cook until berries begin to pop and sauce thickens.
- In a large bowl combine eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon. Mix well and then drench bread in mixture.
- Cook bread in a skillet on Medium until the sides are golden brown. Serve warm topped with Cranberry Syrup.