Jordon loves to make Valentine’s Day special every year. From elaborate dates to thoughtful notes, the boy’s got skill. On our first Valentine’s Day he made me the sweetest breakfast in bed and ever since it’s become somewhat of a tradition in our house.
This year i’ve perfected my doughnut game and couldn’t help but think how perfect it would be for any breakfast in bed Valentine’s Day surprise. You guys, these double chocolate doughnuts are EVERYTHING. J and I stopped after having 2, but on Valentine’s Day you’re allowed to indulge a little.
From start to finish they took me 30-35 minutes to make. They’re also man friendly- so your guy will easily be able to tackle making these babies. As if the name doesn’t give it away, they are literally filled with chocolate. So you have to be a chocolate lover to really appreciate them. If not, try out these delicious Cinnamon Vanilla Doughnuts I’ve made in the past.
- ¾ cups all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tbs granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 3 tbs cocoa
- 3 tbs half and half
- 1 tsp corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.
- In a large bowl combine Doughnut Ingredients (Flour, Cocoa, Baking Soda, Salt, Butter, Brown Sugar, Granulated Sugar, Egg Yolk, Buttermilk, and Vanilla). Mix well using an electric hand mixer.
- Grease a doughnut pan with pam or butter. Put doughnut mixture into a Ziploc bag and cut off a corner of the bag. Gently squeeze the bag to get the dough into the doughnut pan. Bake for 8 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the doughnuts cool in the pan.
- While doughnuts are cooling combine all ingredients for the icing, except for the sprinkles. Mix well.
- Once doughnuts have cooled, press the tops into the icing and then let rest on a plate. Decorate with sprinkles and enjoy!