There is nothing that gets me more in the spirit of Christmas than baking sugar cookies with my mom. We’ve been doing it for years, so it’s become our little tradition. And, just like when I was 5, my favorite part is still eating the extra frosting straight from the bowl. Anyone with me? Sugar cookies seem simple, but they can be tough to make without the perfect recipe. So, today i’m sharing how we make ours in the hopes that it can become your new Christmas tradition as well.
I’m a firm believer that if i’m going to eat a cookie, it better be delicious. And these my friends, are the absolute best. They’re light, fluffy and come in adorable little shapes depending on the season. I mean, come on, how cute are the little snowmen. I found the cookie cutter at target, so make sure to run out and get one before they run out!
Here’s our secret: lots of flour. Seriously, when cutting out cookies you HAVE to use tons of flour to make sure that they don’t stick to your kitchen counter. So, make sure that your kitchen is covered in it (warning: it can be a pain to clean up, but it’s still so worth it).
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1 stick butter
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 3-4 Tbsp. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar until you hit desired consistency
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, butter, baking powder, sugar, egg, vanilla extract and a pinch of salt. Mix well until all ingredients are well combined.
- Coat kitchen surface in flour (lots of it!) and roll your dough out until it is about a 1/4 inch thick. Then, use your cookie cutters to make your shapes and then put them on a buttered baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Then, remove and let cool.
- In a bowl, combine butter, salt milk, and vanilla extract. Then begin adding powdered sugar until you hit your desired temperature.
- Spread over cookies and top with sprinkles!